Live chat is an incredibly awesome tool utilized by thousands upon thousands of websites, and chat operators know the secret to incredible chats – canned responses.
A canned response, sometimes called a “customer pre-built response,” is like a chat shortcut. Think of it like a copy/paste alternative. Answers to common questions are pre-crafted and can be quickly selected and sent during a chat.
- Translation concerns: Spanish is not my native language. I’ll be using Google Translate to help you the best I can.
- When you aren’t quite ready yet: Hi! My name is Bob. It’s going to take a moment or two to pull up your account information. Hang in there, Roger.
- Why are you better than [competitor]?: While Company Z offers solid products, I can only give you the reasons that our customers have told us for switching to Company Awesome.
How to set up canned responses
- Visit Chat » Settings » Canned Responses
- Click Create New Response
- Once new response has been completed, make sure to select Auto Send if you would like the system to send the message for you. (Note: If multiple responses are set to Auto Send, all will be sent at the same time)
- Click Save Changes to complete the set up
How to send a canned response
- Type # as first character into chat box
- A list of your saved canned responses will appear
- Select canned response from list that populates
- Send message to user through chat
Pro Tip for Lucky Orange Users
Once a response from the list of canned responses is highlighted, you can press <Tab> to add it to the chat message field. Or, to send the message immediately, press <Enter>/<Return> instead.